I know I said I'd try to keep this blog as positive as possible... (and I will still try)... but for this particular post it might be slightly difficult.
Recently, two people in my life have been victims of selfishness. And by selfishness I mean that some people just don't understand when to stop thinking about themselves and start thinking about others. Espeeecially when those you are hurting are people you really love.
So, these recent events got me thinking: What's the world coming to? Are we really a society that can't stop for ONE minute to think about someone else's needs? To consider another person's feelings for just a second? I know America has the whole "pull yourself up by your boot straps" mentality, but gimme a break. Some people are so wrapped up in what they need and want, that they deeply hurt those around them. This hurt is always "unintentional", but in my opinion, it can be avoided (to a degree). STOP and think before you speak. How many times have your parents told you this? Now listen to them and do it. What you say to someone, no matter how old, young, tough or weak you think they are, WILL affect them. Before deciding you need something so badly that you'd do anything for it, stop and think about who you're stepping over to get it.
Granted, at times, it is important to put yourself before others. But that's when you need to use your good judgment (trust me, it's there somewhere) and decide if it's really worth it. Something that I do that seems to help me step outside of a situation and look at it from a more objective perspective is to write in a journal. I just write. And write and write and spill eeeeeeverything I have inside out onto the page. I step away, and come back to it later. As I'm reading I ask myself, "Do I sound like a crazy person?" If the answer is yes, I drop it. If the answer is no, I go from there.
Moral of the story? Think before you speak, act, breathe. Thanks for listening to my soap-box thoughts :]
P.S. I love the two people who I'm talking about. At least one of you knows who you are. <3

No comments:
Post a Comment