About Me

My photo
Welcome! I'm honored to announce that I am no longer a first year teacher, but officially a more experienced SECOND year teacher. However, it is my first year in fifth (hence the title of this blog). I am very excited, and very nervous, about teaching the "big kids". Read to find out my thoughts and reflections as I document my journey as a year two full-time teacher!

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Bags!

The next two posts are dedicated to the artsy fartsy side of my Spring Break! 

On Wednesday, the Boof and I decided to make our own version of the game known as "Bean Bag Toss" or "Cornhole". I had previously purchased this game at Big 5 and after the first two times playing it, it had managed to spit out 10+ screws, suffer a broken hinge, and lose its footing completely. That was when our friend said, "You know I could make one of these at the shop right?" So we did. Well in the Boof's garage anyway. Here is the step-by-step, 12-hour, super fun process!

1) The Boof did all the cutting, and I helped with the sanding. Basically, we traced the game we already had to get the basic shape of the boards. Then we traced different sized paint cans/bowls to make the holes. We sanded all the edges and then painted everything white.

2) Next, we taped off the areas that we wanted to stay white.


3) Then, using cardboard to keep the spray paint contained, we began spraying the areas. We started with black, then moved on to the other colors.


4) After the paint has dried, we peeled off the blue tape to reveal the white outlines. We used a paintbrush to touch up any areas that accidentally had color where it wasn't supposed to be.



5) We painted the back sides just so that they weren't plain wood.


6) We cut out and sanded 2 legs for each, and a bumper for the front edge. We attached small hinges to the legs so that they would be more portable. We then attached the legs and the bumper using screws.



 7) The Boof created stencils out of tape and we painted the points for each hole.


8) We stapled fabric to the back of the board to create pockets for each hole.


 9) I was in charge of bean bags. I cut 4.5 in squares (2 for each bag) and sewed 3 sides together. We filled them with rice and sewed the fourth side together. Each board has 4 bags.



10) Ta-Da!! 
The finished product! It did take 12 hours to complete the entire project, but it was so worth it! We played a few games and no screws came loose and none of the bags ripped open. A few finishing touches included:
- Clear coating the whole thing for preservation.
- Adding rubber stoppers to the bumper and legs to prevent movement and scuffing.
- Writing numbers in increments of 5 along the sides of the legs. 
- Adding a rubber band to the legs in order to keep score.

And the grand total?? $25!!! The Boof already had the wood and fabric, so all we had to buy was spray paint, hinges, and rice. The rest was up to us to create!!

1 comment:

  1. Um, SO stinkin fun and creative. Bring em over, let's play.

    ReplyDelete