About Me

My photo
Welcome! I'm honored to announce that I am no longer a first year teacher, but officially a more experienced SECOND year teacher. However, it is my first year in fifth (hence the title of this blog). I am very excited, and very nervous, about teaching the "big kids". Read to find out my thoughts and reflections as I document my journey as a year two full-time teacher!

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

My Conclusion.

Obviously, with such a historical event happening on Sunday, May 1, 2011, I have to comment on it in the only forum where I feel it's appropriate to share my opinion on these matters: my blog.

The murder and death of Osama Bin Laden has been the talk of the country since the official announcement this past Sunday. Everyone has something to say about it. I even posted a little blurb about it on my Facebook when I heard. After reading countless tweets, statuses, emails, and listening to morning talk shows revisit the topic over and over again, I've started to solidify my own thoughts.

First, there's the [vengeful and proud to be an American side of me] that thinks:
- The world's a better, safer place.
- He had it coming.
- He didn't deserve a fair trial after mass murdering innocent people.
- He was a purely evil soul who had no idea what "God's will" actually is.
- He hated all Americans for being just that.

But then there's the [loving side of me that has a heart and soul] that thinks:
- How devastating for his family, including the 13 (?) children he left behind.
- Who are we to decide who lives and dies, even if he took it upon himself to do so?
- Everyone deserves a fair trial. It's the American way, and the reason why many people hate(d) W./Guantanamo Bay.
- "Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." (taken from the bestie's fb)
- How can any kind soul be celebrating the death of another human being?

My conclusion?
I'm not throwing a party in celebration of his death,
but I'm not going to shed a tear at his funeral.

No comments:

Post a Comment