It took me a really long time, like probably until halfway through college, to learn how to actually take a compliment. I finally know how to say "Thank you!" and appreciate when someone notices that I've done something right.
Today, I received three compliments. And these aren't just any old compliments about clothes or silly things like that...they're compliments from kids, which makes them that much more special :]
1 - I taught math today. It was my second day of introducing two new, and relatively easy, concepts. Yesterday didn't go so well. But today I watched as 90% of the class grasped the concept and got 100% on the workbook pages, all on their own. When students say "That was easy!", I definitely take that as a compliment.
2 - I've subbed a total of 2.5 days this semester. The first 1.5 were full of "Actually, Mrs. Orozco does it this way." Today, however, I heard one student say "It feels like a regular day!" meaning she didn't know the difference between me and her regular teacher. Success :]
3 - My director at TC called to let me know that the little boy I tutored for the first time yesterday (because he's sort of a "problem child" for other tutors) made it a point to tell her that he loved me and I'm his new favorite tutor!
Compliments like these build confidence, so learn how to spot and take them!

No comments:
Post a Comment